Thursday, April 18, 2013

The most amazing think you will ever eat, no joke

Okay, I really think this is my most favorite vegan dish I've ever eaten.  I say that a lot, but I really think I mean it.  This recipe is from (big suprise, not) Veganomicon the greatest vegan cookbook ever (if you ask me) 

Disclamer, its kind of a lot of work and you need at least a day in advance for some of the prep, but I PROMISE it is worth it.  I make it like every week! 

So here it is, Pineapple-Cashew-Quinoa Stir-Fry

Quinoa:
1 cup quinoa (try mixing white and red for a really eye catching dish)
1 c pineapple juice (I made my own from fresh pineapple in my blender, that way no yucks from concentrate juice)
1 c water
1/4 tsp soy sauce

Stir-Fry
4 oz raw, unsalted cashews
3 TBS peanut oil
2 scallions (which I hope are green onions because that is what I used)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 hot red chile sliced thin
1/2 inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 c frozen green peas or cooked edamame
1/2 c fresh basil leaves, rolled and sliced into thin shreds
2 TBS finely chopped fresh mint
10 oz fresh pineapple, cut into bite size chunks (2 cups)
3 TBS soy sauce
3 TBS vegetable stock
1 TBS mirin (contains sugar, I used rice vinegar instead)
Lime wedges for garnish  (believe me squeezing a little lime juice on this only ups the party in your mouth)

Prepare the quinoa first (in fact if possible do this at least the day before)
Combine all the quinoa ingredients in a med size pot, cover place over med/high heat and bring to a boil.  Stir a few times and reduce the heat to med/low or low and cook for 12-14 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked (you can tell its done because it will be slightly translucent and the little tail will be popped out).  Uncover and let cool, then store in an airtight container overnight.

Let's stir fry!!!
Use the largest nonstick skillet you have (at least 11 inches) or a wok.  Have all of your ingredients chopped and ready.  Place the cashews in the dry pan and heat over low heat stirring them until lightly toasted.
Remove the cashews and raise the heat to medium and add the peanut oil, scallions, and garlic.  When the garlic starts ot sizzle, add the sliced chile pepper and ginger.  Stir-fry for about 2 minutes, then add the bell pepper and peas.  Stir-fry for another 3-4 minutes until the peas are bright green.  Add the basil and mint, and stir for another minute before adding the pineapple and quinoa.
 In a measuring cup, combine the soy sauce, vegetable stock and mirin/rice vinegar.  Pour over the quinoa mixture and stir to incorporate completely and  coat the quinoa.  Continue to stir-fry for about 10-24 minutes until the quinoa is very hot.
Now try not to eat all of it in one serving!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment